Sri kalabyraveshwara swamy ayurvedic medical college and Hospital is one of the ventures of Sri AdicchunchanagiriShikshana Trust(R) which has been functioning under stewardship of his Holiness Jagadguru Sri Sri Sri Nirmalanandanatha Maha Swamiji, the present pontiff of Sri Adichunchanagiri mutt located in the Nagamangala Taluk of Mandya District. The mutt has had an illustrious line of Gurus dating back to a millennium and a half. Sri Sri Sri Swamiji is the 72st head of the mutt.
Sri Math plays an important role in society and in the field of Education, Health Care, Spiritual Activities, Social Activities, Moral & Cultural Activities and Environmental Activities. The Trust has established over 300 Educational Institutions benefiting more than 40,000 students in the filed of Medicine, Engineering, Science studies and other schools and colleges.
SKAMC&H aims at producing quality physicians with profound knowledge of Ayurveda possessing extensive experience in General Medicine, General Surgery, ENT & Ophthalmology, Obstetrics & Gynecology and Pediatrics enabling them to be fully competent to serve in the Medical and Health service.
Ayurveda is not a medical system that addresses only diseases. The first and foremost aim is to preserve the health of the healthy.
The three humours function as pillars supporting the body. The derangement in the humours causes illness. The natural constitution (Prakrithi) of an individual and deranged state of the body in an illness (Vikrithi) are expressed with respect to Vatha, Pitha and Kapha. Medicines and herbs are grouped based on its effects on the humours.
Ayurvedic treatments are classified in two groups broadly:-
1. Shodhana chikitsa
2. Shamana chikitsa
Shodhana chikitsa is Panchakarma therapy; literarily meaning fivefold therapy. It gives the long lasting benefits in the body.
The five processes which are used for body cleansing in Ayurveda:-
1. Vamanam-Medically induced vomiting
2. Virechanam- Medically induced purgation
3. Nasyam- Administration of medicine through the nose in the form of drops or powders
4. Snehavasthy-Enema done with medicated oil
5. Kashayavasthy-Enema done with a mixture of honey, salt, herbal paste,herbal decoction and medicated oil.
Proper preparatory measures have to be undertaken prior to the treatment, to make the body ready for the cleaning. After completion of treatment patient may have to continue internal medicines, follow diet and lifestyle advises.
Shamana chikitsa is a method of treating diseased by appropriately planned diet, lifestyle and internal medicines. Shamana chikitsa is palliative therapy.
Rasayana treatment is Ayurveda’s unique way to prevent or reverse degeneration due to ageing and excessive cell oxidation.
These are of two types:-
1. Kutipraveshika, a type of rasayana which has to be done with strict restrictions in diet and regimen. In this process patient will be confined in a specially constructed room as per textual direction for more than 30 days.
2. Vathatapika, in this treatment, restrictions are less compared to kutipraveshika, can be taken by a patient while leading a normal life.